Search & Win

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Swiss Steak

I need to tell you I finally made the Beefy Lentil Vegetable soup. I don't know about you, but I am hesitant to try new recipes. Especially recipes containing ingredients I am unfamiliar with such as lentils. What the heck is a lentil? I figured it was a legume-like grain. To me they look like a flat soybean with a greenish tint. I noticed Gayle used in lentils in her menus and it peeked my interest because they seemed rather virsatile.









I had Kurt and Mac try this, but I could only get them to eat a spoonful. I still enjoyed it. More for me! I hope you take a leap of faith if you have never used lentils in a recipe. I very rarely make soup recipes because I'm afraid they are not going to taste good or not turn out or something silly.









Back to the recipe at hand. I promised a recipe for Swiss Steak. I will try my best to deliver.











Swiss Steak

Cubed steak or top round steak tenderized

flour

beaten egg (s)

saltine cracker crumbs

Golden mushroom soup

celery and onions

Amount on meat depends on how many servings you would like to prepare, which then dictates how much of the other ingredients you will need as well. This recipe is no fail, honest.

Coat pieces of meat with flour on both sides. Dip in beaten egg then coat with saltine cracker crumbs. In a frying pan with 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of oil melted together, brown meat on both sides. In a roaster, crockpot, or dutch oven put chunks of celery and slices of onion. This is only for flavor, but may be eaten as well. Layer browned meat over vegetables. Pour Golden mushroom soup over the top. You may need to use two cans of soup or add water to the bottom. There needs to be an ample amount of liquid because this is going to cook for a couple of hours and you do not want it to dry out.

Cook in a 300 degree oven for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. The longer the better my mom says. Or in a crockpot for 4 to 6 hours on low, but the longer the better. I like to put the gravy over mashed potatoes. This is one of my favorite meals that my mom makes and now it is something I can make as well. Kurt and Mac love it too. I think we are going to have it Saturday, I can't wait. I hope you like it as much as we do. Check out more great recipes over at Gayle's Recipe Swap

No comments: