Search & Win

Friday, February 6, 2009

Pancakes

Growing up my mom would make pancakes on the weekends because she worked full-time during the week. She would use Bisquick and that is the only way I knew how to make them. My ex was not impressed with these pancakes and his mother gave me the recipe she used to make pancakes from scratch. What a novelty!
I checked in the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book and found a recipe for pancakes. Shockingly this was not some secret that pancakes can be made from scratch and not a baking mix. I prefer the recipe I'm going to share with you to any baking mix (sorry Mom). I have also mixed up the dry ingredients for 10 batches or so ahead of time. I then measure out the total dry ingredients called for in the recipe and add the remaining ingredients.




Pancakes
In a large bowl or measuring cup with a spout, combine the following.
1 cup flour
1 tbs sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
In a separate bowl, combine
1 beaten egg
1 cup milk
2 tbs cooking oil (I use applesauce)
Pour wet ingredients into dry and combine until blended but slightly lumpy. Pour about 1/4-1/3 cup of batter onto a heated griddle. Flip pancakes after top is completely bubbly. Finished when edges are dry and bottom is golden. I like to put chocolate chips over batter when it is first poured onto griddle.

Check out more recipe ideas at the Recipe Swap.
ETA: The batter can be made ahead of time and stored covered in the fridge. This is also an easy recipe to double, triple, etc. I usually double it. If we won't eat the extras with in a couple of days, I individually wrap each pancake in plastic wrap and store in a large freezer bag (in the freezer : ) ).

2 comments:

Miriam said...

I Luuuuuuuuu-uuuuuV Pancakes!! It's usually weekends, too, that I make them :)

Mrs. Gilson said...

You just think I used Bisquick all the time. Growing up back on the farm, I did alot of the cooking. Often times we had pancakes for supper, made from scratch by yours truly. I used the recipe from my mom's cookbook the old Better Homes and Gardens one from the 40's. The last time I made pancakes, I used a mix, just add water. They tasted just fine. Enough said. Love, Mom.